Monday 26 November 2012

Appreciation

I went outside to hang out the washing and as I put peg to clothing, I stared up at the sky and saw it was blue and white puffy clouds drifted idly by. Birds twittered in the trees and a butterfly fluttered by, looking for a place to lay its eggs for the next caterpillar onslaught on my garden. In the vegetable patch, trusses of ripening cherry tomatoes are waiting for my next salad and the lemon tree, which I thought had seen its last season, is a mass of green again.

The wellpoint is delivering unlimited water from a basin in the rocks underneath the lawn, and a small fountain tinkles behind me, where the birds bath every evening. Fifty metres away, the waves are tumbling into the bay, the only sound that is carrying on the breeze.

A tenacious bokbaai vygie is clinging to life, having flowered since August, determined to outdo itself this year. The cactus is in bloom with two flowers at once and a third opening as I watch.

Inside the house, I have gas for the stove, electricity for the lights and food in the fridge. On my computer, I have work which allows me to earn a living from home. A blank canvas waits in my studio for the time when inspiration strikes, and two books are well on the way. And I really appreciate that so many people around the world seem to enjoy my writing, which is its whole purpose.

How lucky I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment