Monday 9 February 2015

Still looking up!

I have always been partial to spending long periods staring out of the window to see what's happening outside, or lying on the bricks (lawn is too damp) looking upwards and out into the universe. There is always some kind of activity, some zipping by so fast I can't identify it and others drifting by over a period of minutes or hours.
Daylight hours are obviously suited to the observation of birds, planes, clouds, hang gliders and, on one occasion, what I consider will be the only sighting in my lifetime of a weather balloon!
At night, particularly now that Eskom is obliging us with late evening load shedding in Kommetjie, there is ample opportunity to spend a few hours out on the deck, looking for galaxies, satellites, the International Space Station, UFOs and of course millions of stars! I can quite safely say that I haven't quite covered them all yet, and not least because my 8-inch mirror belonging to my telescope went off with the scientists to Sutherland for re-aluminising and, due to some technical problems, needs to go back again, so I haven't bothered to replace it in the telescope. I am therefore restricted to binoculars, which are fine for the closer stars but not great for planets and definitely hopeless for galaxies.
Whatever the time of day and whatever the weather, I would like to encourage you all to take an interest in looking up - there are so many interesting natural phenomena for our observing pleasure.




No comments:

Post a Comment