Tuesday 12 August 2014

Yet another great day

Rumour has it that tomorrow it may rain in Cape Town. If it doesn't, I will have to water the garden. Everything is lying flat on the ground after a week without rain. How quickly we acclimatise to good weather - it is almost unthinkable that spring is not here to stay, despite the liberal sprinkling of daisies already adorning the banks and braes of Kommetjie. Hardly any need to go to Namaqualand for quantity, although colour is the thing.

Another lovely day, spent with old friends and generally drifting without time limits from shop to shop picking up all those little sundries that don't form part of the usual shopping list. Of course, the old friends part was the best, and thank you for that! Safe flying and happy landings - hope the rain has stopped in the UK and the forecast 38 degrees awaits!

I'll be going to Namaqualand to see the famous flowers for myself soon. I have never been in all my 58 years and in fact the last time I took the road to Namibia was on a fabulous trip in 1969. Most of you weren't born then. I'm sure a few roadside farmstalls have sprung up since then, which will relieve the monotony of the long drive. The flowers will be facing north so we'll see nothing on the way up and everything on the way back. A few days at lodgings in the midst of the flower fields sounds like a wonderful way of recharging the batteries and watching the sun set on a different landscape.

You can be sure there will be some stories to tell and lots of photos. I've already packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment