Sunday 17 August 2014

Food, glorious food

What a week it has been! So many people to see and so many meals to share, ranging from breakfast to dinner – five times in a week. Quite something for someone who is supposed to watch her eating regimen rather strictly. While I freely admit that I am not going to suffer major repercussions from my deviations, I will have to take myself in hand soon otherwise old habits will creep back. I have to say that the pleasure derived from the company of those who led me astray down the path of delectable delights far exceeded any side effects.
On the subject of eating, last Friday, He Who Can Fix Anything had a routine blood sugar test and it was 19.5. The pharmacy sent him straight to the doctor with a red flag waving, informing him that he was dangerously close to diabetic. Another blood test showed it to be 12.5 about 6 hours later. He was immediately told to go on the (I’m not going to advertise it here) diet currently so fashionable and of course I was thrilled because I follow a diabetic diet for other reasons and it would be nice to only cook one type of food.
I immediately packed up all the sweets, sugar, puddings, cooldrinks, jams, biscuits, bread, potatoes, chicken pies and anything else that contained carbs, and handed the gardener a week’s supply of food. Off to the shops I went and filled my fridge with every conceivable leafy green and salad ingredient, and a health-food weekend ensued. By Monday, he was pining for pudding and the odd Kit-Kat, and decided to go back to the pharmacy to have another test. This time it was 8!

It turns out that on the Friday before he had the test, he had just eaten a sandwich, a naartjie and a banana. Well obviously his blood sugar would have spiked! So with glee he phoned me to say I could make apple crumble and custard for pudding (lucky me). Admittedly, he has cut down on the chocolate and cooldrinks, so it can only benefit him, but it seems as though my days of making puddings are not yet over.

No comments:

Post a Comment