Tuesday 26 November 2013

No time at present

So much going on at the moment and not enough time! Being a freelancer means you have no idea when you will have work, but it always seems to be November/December, and this year is no exception. I have been nose to the grindstone for 10 days and the end is not in sight, but my son is coming out for a brief holiday in a few days' time and I will still have to work. Ho hum! There's always night shift, I suppose.

Tomorrow morning I expect to see a magnificent sight in my garden - 8 cactus flowers are going to open together, and there are 6 small buds still growing! The effort that these little cactus plants put in is amazing, as they produce exquisite flowers year after year with no attention from me. In fact they are completely pot-bound, as there is no way I can handle them without some kind of leather gloves (or perhaps a couple of forks!) and they are really starting to need some extra space. If anyone has any tips on transplanting fat round cacti, please let me know.

In the meantime, a small patch of agapanthus are flowering better than any time in the last 25 or so years, surrounded by flowering aloes (wrong season?) and long stems of delicate wind flowers waving in the breeze. There's no doubt that the garden prefers rain water to municipal water. Everything grows visibly after heavy rain, which we had today again! Lucky, as I have no time to water right now.

I will post photos of the cactus flowers tomorrow (unless I've miscalculated - then it will be the next day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment