Friday 22 November 2013

Jostling for position

It doesn't take long to train a cat to eat tinned fish, but to get it back on dried pellets is another story! I ran out of cat pellets the other day and didn't want to make a trip to the mall for that, so I opened a tin of mackerel. Well, wasn't it just Christmas for the cat! I had to let her eat on the kitchen sink otherwise the dogs would have shouldered her out of the way and slurped it up in the blink of an eye. So now every time I open the drawer with the tin-opener, the cat is up and waiting. Her pellets remain untouched on the floor - after all, this is a cat with elevated status. No more eating with the dogs. She has been drinking water from the kitchen tap for a long time now, something one of my old kitties also did. Probably doesn't like the taste of water that has stood for a while, and who can blame her?

Tonight I made the most delicious fresh fish in butter and thyme, and here she sits, waiting to claw it off my plate the instant I drop my guard! I've pushed her off a number of times but that's part of the game, apparently. Behind me, the dogs are observing that the cat has the closest position to the plate - usually they get to lick them - we just put the plates back in the cupboard afterwards, as they don't need further cleaning - but now they have competition, and they can't jump up onto the kitchen counter.

I surreptitiously let Felix eat behind the computer screen so they couldn't see her - how devious you have to become with animals and food! The dogs were none the wiser, but I'll give them the rest of the tinned mackerel just to let them know they haven't been replaced in my affections!

No comments:

Post a Comment