Saturday 5 October 2013

Wintry weather and rugby





The first picture was taken a year ago and the second two today. You can see there is a vast difference in the weather. We are definitely having a very late spring. Today the southeaster is freezing, gale force on top of Table Mountain (the cableway is closed) and it's winter clothes all round. Unbelievable in October. The combination of low clouds, drizzle and a southeaster means that there is no sound from the sea (the wind is offshore), the sea has blown completely flat and even the birds seem to be hiding in the hedges.

It's difficult to motivate yourself to do anything but lie on the couch and read a book, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with doing that from time to time. It just goes against the grain. I feel I should always be doing something constructive. As my daughter says, it's good to take a day off now and then - you don't have to work every day. A lifetime's habits are hard to break!

So I watched tennis - yay! I think I must be the only person in the country who is not watching rugby. I can't even tell you who is playing or what time! I've never been one for team sports - I prefer to watch individual skill. I can't even say that rugby games are too long, because tennis can go on for up to 5 hours! The advantage of being the only one not watching rugby is that during the game I can drive practically anywhere without passing a car on the road, or walk along the path at the bay without seeing a soul.

In actual fact, I suppose the real reason I never watch rugby is because no-one else in this household does. Oops! Just receiving smses to say things are not going well for us in the rugby from those watching elsewhere. Now I know - it's the bad tempers that go with losing that prevent me from being a fan.




No comments:

Post a Comment