Friday 25 October 2013

The red jacket

A new shop has opened in Kommetjie, buying and selling old and new items, so I took the opportunity to offload 6 Noritake saucers that I have had in a cupboard for 25 years. The cups had chipped or cracked before that, due to the usual bad handling that goes on in kitchens. If we just slowed down a little, I'm sure our dinner services would last forever. Amazingly enough, they were thrilled to have them and we settled on a mutually acceptable monetary exchange. Anything was acceptable to me - I mean, fancy being paid for something you haven't used for 25 years!

 As I was leaving the shop, a red jacket/car coat type of garment caught my eye and I took it off the rail as I always do when it's red. I tried it on and it was exactly what I have been looking for over many years. Imagine my excitement to see that it cost less than they had paid me for the saucers! I headed straight back to the counter, paid and put it into the packet recently vacated by the crockery.

I got home and modelled it for my daughter, who immediately told me that it made me look twice the size I already am, and did I really want that? I have to admit the rest of my get-up was not ideal. Flat Crocs, knee-length denims and dishevelled hair pulled back with an Alice band. I don't always look in the mirror too carefully before going out! However, I do think that in high heels and slimline black pants, with a decent hairstyle and a spot of makeup, the Tweedledum effect might well be lessened! And if it isn't, should I care? I'm only 5' 2" so everything makes me look bigger than I had hoped. I've spent my whole life trying not to offend others by wearing inappropriate clothing, but all you have to do is walk down Longbeach Mall to see that not many people care for my ocular sensibilities.

It's said that every dog has his day, and I had mine when I was much younger - it's perhaps time to remember I can't be 18 forever - physically, that is. Mentally is another story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment