Friday 11 October 2013

The waiting game

What a day! Left home at 9.30 to send a fax from the local post shop. I have never been able to get the cabling right since I moved the computer/printer upstairs and haven't been able to send a fax since! I had a computer expert round twice but he couldn't get it to work either - I don't know what that says about his skills - but eventually I will have to try another route and sort it out. Anyway, the receiver of the fax had run out of paper and I would have to wait until that was refilled before I could send the fax.

Off to the mall - I'm going to plant some seeds for the vegetable patch (taking a chance on porcupines and baboons again) so am looking for seed trays. Didn't find any so will use beer can trays - plenty of those around. I then did a small shop for the weekend and stopped at one of my favourite coffee shops for coffee and scrambled egg. Still waiting to send the fax. I then browsed the interesting section of the bookshop and bumped into a good friend who was bulk buying books - she just loves reading and has her favourite authors - she emailed one author who she felt had not got his plot right (lost the plot?), but surprisingly he did not reply! We agreed to meet a little later for lunch, so I trawled the mall with my Pick n Pay trolley while I waited to send the fax. Then it was back to the coffee shop, where they were a little surprised to see me again within the hour, and we spent a very pleasant hour or so catching up on each others lives. Still waiting to send the fax.

Eventually I left the mall to go home and got a call to say the paper was nearly in the fax machine and I could send it soon - so I stopped off at Espresso in Kommetjie to wait to send the fax, and of course came across another friend and more chatting ensued, sans refreshments. Eventually I was told I could send the fax and trundled off the to post shop for the second time - it was then 3pm - sent the fax and received a call to say that the paper roll was in back to front. I read the letter over the phone. So that was nearly a whole day wasted apart from the social pleasantry.

I get home and carry two bags of groceries up the wooden stairs. The security gate at the top is closed so I have to put the bags on the tread to open it. Of course, the contents of one of the bags falls one storey to the bricks below and, of course, it's not the potatoes and onions. It's the milk, two containers of cream, a container of blueberries and three packs of meat! The milk and cream bounced, unbelievably, and the meat was none the worse for a bit of tenderising, but R30 worth of blueberries scattered far and wide across the brick paving. I was certainly not going to let that go to waste, so I picked up every single one and washed them thoroughly. I will enjoy them later with some plain yoghurt.

So that's what my day consisted of (oh, I also stopped off to say goodbye to an old gentleman friend who is moving up the Garden Route, just to add to my list of things to do). He Who Can Fix Anything says I am never at home. Well, it's hardly surprising when you spend your life waiting for other people to sort themselves out. I need not mention who I was sending the fax to!

No comments:

Post a Comment