Sunday 20 October 2013

Making ourselves useful

Another lazy day. This is of course in preparation for some serious work in the next few weeks, catching up on all sorts of things I have been procrastinating over. I must be one of the most skilled procrastinators in the world. It is almost a hobby. But it's time to change hobbies, so I'm psyching up to do it. I have no doubt that once I have swept out the old, something new and exciting will step in to replace it.

We haven't taken the Mini out for a few weeks and it seems that the sound system has sucked the life out of the battery, so once we had fixed that, it was time to pile the little yappers into the car and set off on a mini tour of the Peninsula. We always take the same route - down past Witsands, Misty Cliffs and Scarborough - as the colour of the sea there seems to be unrivalled anywhere else in the Peninsula. If I lived in Misty Cliffs, I'm sure I would just sit and watch the sea all day - at least here in Kommetjie I only have The Gap to look through!

As we drove along the road between these dots of civilisation, we passed a car with its bonnet up, and I looked to see who the occupants were - a young woman and a little girl. Knowing what it's like to be stranded at the side of the road, I mentioned this to HWCFA and he immediately did a U-turn to see what he could do to help. She was very grateful - possibly even more so because the man who stopped to help was accompanied by a middle-aged woman (could that really be me?) and two fluffy white dogs - and stuck her head in the window to thank me while HWCFA fiddled with jumper leads and spanners. I told her that she couldn't have been rescued by a better person, as people have been known to set sail across oceans only due to the fact that he has been aboard - in his youth he was known as McGyver.

And in no time at all, her car was sorted out and off she drove. Certainly was her lucky day that we passed by at that time and that I looked to see who was in the car. We wouldn't have stopped except that it was an unaccompanied female. So all's well that ended well.

No comments:

Post a Comment