Friday 27 September 2013

More wild weather as the days get longer

It's lucky that the sea off Kommetjie isn't rough every day, otherwise I would get even less done than I normally do. I would be sitting at the rocks watching the waves rolling in.

I went down there this afternoon to take pictures for references (I'm busy with a series of wave paintings) and in an effort to not miss a moment of thunderous power, I clicked away with the camera almost non-stop for twenty minutes or so. In the freezing wind, it didn't take long for my fingers to seize up - the camera was held in claw-like grip as I was unable to uncurl my frozen fingers. Like a fool, thinking it was Spring, I didn't take a jacket with pockets to keep my hands warm. I should have seen the signs when there were no surfers in sight and only two lonely dog-walkers the whole time I was there. The weather was ba-a-ad!

It didn't seem to bother the birds - they swooped and landed on the rocks in front of me without so much as a ruffled feather. Nature certainly knew what was going on when they were made!

The only real sign of Spring is that it is noticeably light in the mornings when I wake up and now, at 7pm, it is only just dusk. Somehow it doesn't seem to matter how bad the weather is if the sun is behind those clouds for a little bit longer every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment