Wednesday 25 September 2013

Birds, birds and more birds

The hibiscus was a-twitter with little birds this evening. I stood in the shade of the ivy and watched a proud mommy double-collared sunbird feeding aphids to her offspring, which has so many fluffy feathers that it is almost twice her size. I have listened to its plaintive twee-ee-eep for a few days now, wondering what it was and it is a great relief to identify it and know that its song will improve with age! Father sunbird was perched on the topmost twig, displaying his magnificent plumage while watching his little family jumping from twig to twig. I stepped forward to get a closer look and they were gone in a swoop, disappearing into the myrtle hedge nearby.

This hedge is home to at least five types of bird: boubou, mousebird, white-eye, sunbird and prinia, and no doubt others that I have not seen or managed to identify. Quite likely a few snakes frequent its dark interior, seeking an easy meal, but I haven't come across one of those, except for the large snake I nearly stepped on last year as I opened the gate. I don't think that one was heading for the hedge! Although I know it is quite a fire hazard, I would be reluctant to completely remove what is more like a copse than a hedge (it's been lining the driveway for 30 years now) for the reason that it is home to a lot of wildlife and provides shelter from the wind and privacy from the road.

The driveway is also the feeding ground for a small group of guinea fowl, a couple of francolins and at least thirty-five assorted doves and rock pigeons, as we scatter mixed grain for them - when the grass is tall and has gone to seed, we don't need to put out much food as they are well able to feed themselves, but HWCFA likes to have a few tame birds around that will patter into the garage and keep him company, picking out the sunflower seeds from the food bin and hardly leaving the ground when Monty does his mock charge, trying to reassert his authority.

The garden provides food for the seed and fruit eaters - now if someone can tell me what eats snails, I will be able to feed the meat eaters too!

No comments:

Post a Comment