Tuesday 17 September 2013

Komwatch - keeping us safer

I went to the local neighbourhood watch meeting tonight. I thought it would be rude not to support it, seeing that we find it so comforting to know that someone else is out there every night and day, patrolling our streets and responding to calls for assistance, and all on a volunteer basis. They are a dedicated team, as are all the neighbourhood watches in this country, unfortunately through necessity, as visible policing seems to have all but disappeared and organised house invasions are the order of the day. These are not, I think, random choices, but informed choices, as the targets always have what they are looking for - jewellery, guns, cash. They aren't interested in TVs or computers unless a car is also available to stash it in.

I don't live in fear of such an invasion, as one look at the cars we drive (all old models) will let them know not to waste their time. I haven't heard yet of a robbery at a house where the thieves got away with nothing. I have thought of putting a sign on the gate: Don't bother! Our fluffy yappers do a pretty good job by way of an alarm system and the fence has deadly spikes. My plan is to install one of those old-fashioned klaxon hooters under the eaves, together with a huge spotlight, and link them to a remote control. In the event of an intruder, I think the noise and light show should give him such a fright he would be gone in a flash.

But in all seriousness, I am prepared to make a cash contribution to the expense of running these patrols of volunteers who enable us to sleep more restfully at night, knowing that they will respond in less than two minutes to our call. I'm afraid I'm just not made of the stuff required to be one of those intrepid volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment