Thursday 19 September 2013

Plunging back into winter

Two weeks ago I foolishly courted disaster by mentioning Spring! We are back into the deepest winter weather, with spring tides at the equinox (or at least overlapping by a day or so), driving rain and plummeting temperatures. We are expecting it to be -3 on top of Table Mountain tomorrow and snow will fall on the high mountains of the Western Cape. This is certainly proving to be a long winter and feels like an unusually inclement September. School holidays, when I was young (!) involved lying on the beach in September, but I don't think next week's holiday will bring out too many bikinis.

I wonder if the A-team, that intrepid group that braves the water each morning, has been keeping a clean record? If they have, no-one has been there with a camera, but then the photographer is not one of the swimmers, so you can't blame her for having a little lie-in!

Last Thursday, I waded in the bay, my thoughts once again turning to the idea of buying a paddle-ski and athletically rowing up and down in the protected water of the bay, where kelp apparently keeps the sharks away. Today it seems as though that was a hundred years ago, testimony to the many moods of the sea. I have investigated the paddle-ski story, but have yet to find something that looks even remotely small enough for me to lug down to the rocks and, more importantly, back up again! My daughter says I am far too old for such activities and am a candidate for a broken hip if I slip.

But doubtless in a few days' time, the sun will be shining and the sea will once again look like the kind of place to pass an hour or so, gently gliding over the water, far, far from the madding crowd.


No comments:

Post a Comment