Friday 29 March 2013

To plant or not to plant...

Did some serious exercise today. Starting off with a brisk walk down to the lighthouse and along the seafront, I then proceeded to mow the lawn, taking advantage of the cloud cover and cool air temperature. I cannot abide physical exercise in the sunshine or heat and won't be caught out in the midday sun - I don't have rabies and I'm not English.

That brought me to 11am, by which time I heard a cappuccino calling from the coffee shop up the road. I walked up and was very pleased to see that it was business as usual and joined a couple of friends for a very pleasant hour under the milkwood. On my return home, He Who Can Fix Anything had espied our old gardener and commissioned him to assist me in the garden for the rest of the day. Should I be grateful? I didn't know I was going to be doing more gardening today, but this is the first time in about 15 years that I have been offered assistance, so not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, it was back into the vegetable patch.

It's a bit of an exaggeration to call it that, as the only thing that has grown there since the last baboon raid is a large lavender bush, but they say it encourages the growth of certain vegetables, so I will consult my Margaret Roberts reference book and plant appropriately. It seems the baboon raids have tailed off with the culling of the so-called 'problem' males in the baboon troop, but time will tell. We have often been lulled into a false sense of security and lain on the couch with doors open, only to be subjected to a flash attack without warning. But with winter coming on there should be plenty to eat up in the mountains.

Perhaps a cauliflower or two, some brussels sprouts and spinach? Dare I? Or will I be tempting fate?
Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment