Saturday 30 March 2013

Armchair athlete

The Two Oceans Marathon took place today along the extremely scenic route round the Peninsula, cutting across the Fish Hoek valley and cunningly calculated to end at the University of Cape Town's rugby fields. As I watched the 27 000 runners from the comfort of my bed this early morning, while the southeaster raged outside, I could only admire those who find exhilaration and personal achievement in this kind of sport.

I was amazed by the length of stride of the front runners, who garnered the bulk of the TV coverage so I was unable to assess the rest of the field. It looked to be about 1 metre and if the marathon is 50km that means they are taking 50 000 strides. I did a little test and reckon my running stride to be about 1/2 a metre, which would entail 100 000 strides for me, double the effort of the professionals. I would be pounding the tar twice as much which would wear out my shoes at twice the rate and I think that I would take twice the amount of time. My maths may be all wrong, but I'm sure you will see where I'm going with this. That's right - I am not running material.

I find it difficult to keep up with anyone when just walking and put this down to having a very short walking stride as well. Perhaps I have very short muscles, or the tendons don't stretch. All I know is, when I walk with my sisters, they are very soon way ahead of me.

So not being genetically favoured for long-distance running, I will just have to remain an armchair athlete. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment