Sunday 3 March 2013

Out of the frying pan...

There is one food programme that I find particularly inspiring on DSTV, and that is Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. The food looks mouthwateringly delicious, apart from the fact that most of the ingredients shouldn't ever be included in anything I eat! However, the way it is made, with passion and gusto and in such enthusiastically large amounts (bucketloads of spices and vinegar and tomato sauce!) makes me want to start cooking much more exciting food and particularly in different ways.

He Who Can Fix Anything has mentioned that he feels I have become uncommonly attached to the vegetable steamer and I can see that he is not impressed by my attempts to force him into a healthy lifestyle. So I figure, what the heck, if it takes 5 years off his life but he enjoys it, let him eat cake! Or rather, spicy ribs with onion rings or sticky chili chicken wings or whatever just sticks to his teeth. He can take his tablets to counteract the sugar content if that's what he wants.

But first of all, I want a big cast iron griddle that fits over the entire surface of my gas hob so that I can make like a chef and flip burgers, steaks, bacon, hash browns and plenty of onions with a flick of the wrist, without being restricted by frying pans with high sides and that silly round shape. Those are for the sauce.

 I need room for creativity if he wants me to expand my repertoire. My new canvas will be cast iron!

No comments:

Post a Comment