Tuesday 5 March 2013

Did you got a licence?

I hate to write about negative aspects of life, but yesterday I was involved in 4 separate incidents of completely incompetent and imbecilic behaviour from other road users that I just have to share. It is a sad fact that the general public is only too aware that the likelihood of prosecution for transgressing the rules of the road in South Africa is precariously close to nil, due to lack of skilled policing and manpower. The only fine you are guaranteed to get is a speeding fine, as this is controlled by a camera. Of course, you will still only get it if you are one of the dying breed of law-abiding motorists who are culturally bound to the demonstration of consideration towards other road users - in other words, you pay your licence and have a corresponding number plate, not one you had made by your friend who works at the motor spares shop. But once again, I digress...

The day started with a simple drive along a straight road. As I passed the local township, a gentleman (and I use that word euphemistically) looked me in the eye and pulled out in front of me. There weren't two car lengths to separate us and I had to swerve onto the other side of the road and overtake him to avoid driving up his rear. Fortunately for me there was no oncoming traffic, and I looked him in the eye as I passed. If only I was driving a Hummer, I wouldn't have needed to swerve.

I then arrived at the Civic Centre parking area, which for the last 50 years has had one-way access. I was amazed to meet up with a car coming my way, and stood my ground, advancing towards my parking space with no intention of giving an inch. Safely out of the way, I joined the small crowd that had gathered to witness this unheard of occurrence in Fish Hoek, of all places, and we gaped as the car with three old ladies on board continued around the circle at a snail's pace, tentatively pulling into a parking space and then reversing out and once more proceeding into the oncoming traffic. The car guard was beside himself.

After Tai Chi we all came out into the car park again, and were treated to yet another car coming along on the wrong side of the one-way, this time an old bakkie with three gentlemen (again, a loose usage) in it, smiling and waving as if that would make it all better. The car guard was so beside himself there were two of him.

Heading back home along the Kommetjie road, a sporty car packed with a crowd of young men (aren't I polite?) appeared out of nowhere and were apparently unhappy with my driving at the speed limit of 70km/h as they overtook me on the left, grinning insolently, and roared off past the cars in front of me, intimidating them into the gutter as they overtook in the face of oncoming traffic. They must have hit 140 before getting to the red traffic light, and as it turned green I was alongside them. The car in front of them was, I think, deliberately delaying turning into Ocean View to hold them up, and my fine friends tried to drive around them, once again in the face of oncoming traffic, but I am pleased to say the other car then sped up and they were left looking like a bunch of bananas!

My conclusions: #1 might have just had bad news and wasn't concentrating.
#2 might have just arrived from Europe or the USA and doesn't know which side of the road to drive on.
#3 doesn't have a licence and doesn't know what any road signs mean.
#4 was showing off for his friends and with a bit of luck will blow his engine.

It's just the oncoming traffic that is in danger here. That is the big concern.

My Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment