Tuesday 31 March 2020

Living with Lockdown - 6

The house maintenance continued on a better footing today - a proper scaffold ensured stability and safety for my son doing the major work of sanding every plank at a dizzying height. Negotiations between HWCFA and non-paid slaves ensured a peaceful working environment, with occasional whistling from on high.
My main task today was to feed the troops, so I dodged the dust and did domestic duties, with grateful thanks for frequent tea breaks. If we do run out of supplies, it will be tea! Despite a forecast of rain from one of the weather stations, the sun prevailed and I needed to water the garden again. The bottom of the well remains steadfastly dry at a depth of 8 feet - the first time in its 38 years of existence - and I wonder if we will ever see it rise to its old winter levels of 3 feet and less below the surface. The pit in the garage used to fill up with water in the old days!
So far there has been no need to find a form of exercise to replace my much-missed hiking (along with the companionship and humour of my co-walkers), as every muscle is used when painting, etc. I have even managed to achieve 10 000 steps a day and burn the same number of calories as a hike up Cecilia Ravine. Those days seem so far away! A rebounder (little trampoline) fills in nicely for the cardio and lymph system and only takes 2 minutes a day.
Even if you only walk around the garden, the dining room table (I took note) or repeated climbing of stairs for those who have them, any exercise will be beneficial. We must be ready for those mountains!


No comments:

Post a Comment