Thursday 26 March 2020

Living with Lockdown 1

And so the lockdown looms - an unknown to all of us so used to personal freedom and wide open spaces. With a level of food security and comfort denied to many, the most difficult part of being confined to one's property would be proximity to the family. Contrary to popular opinion and society's ideals, this is not necessarily a sought after situation, and my first thought after thinking about crime levels - what will the drug dealers, gangsters and sundry criminals do for three weeks - was that domestic abuse will be the crime of choice. This did not go unnoticed by our esteemed Minister of Police, who pointed out that liquor sales would be prohibited and police would be on standby to answer distress calls. Let us hope this will be a way to fractionally reduce such abuse, which is not confined to the poor but encompasses every level of society.
On a lighter note, we will have the opportunity to dust every nook and cranny, scrub places that have never seen bathroom cleaner, perhaps pop our heads into the roof space to see that all is well under the rafters, and trim every tree within an inch of its life. I have been informed by He Who Can Fix Anything that we (the four of us) will be completely refurbishing the outside of the house - no mean feat and if we do it, I will be able to consider the lockdown a massive success.
None of this was on my agenda, as I pictured myself finishing my novel, painting three or four pictures and reading as many books as possible, interspersed with rustling up some tasty treats from my embarrassingly well-stocked larder. (I have kept it stocked since loadshedding began!)
Now that I won't be able to jump in my car and head for the hills, literally, things are not going to be easy and we will all have to adjust to close quarters for a while, particularly with forced labour in the offing. I hope I will find sufficient good humour to post a blog most days to document living with lockdown!
Took a last stroll to the lighthouse to enjoy the wild waves and fresh sea breeze blowing in from the South Atlantic. Such a privilege to live here!


No comments:

Post a Comment