Monday 8 April 2019

The anniversary celebrations

The last few days were taken up with the main event of this trip, the 60th Wedding Anniversary celebrations. Friends and family travelled from far and near, and a renewal of vows service was held in the lovely chapel here at Aysgarth Prep School, where my cousin is Head of Science. It was lucky the facilities were close by, as food prepared in the kitchen could simply be carried up the driveway and set out in the library. I can safely say it was a huge success and well worth the very considerable effort by granddaughter Catherine, and  cousins Peter and Alison.
I was asked to take photos and after discussion with the lady vicar, it was decided the best place for me to sit unobtrusively would be the pulpit - what an opportunity to stand up and give a sermon! However, that was not the purpose. To enable the best view of the congregation, and especially the 'bride and groom', I got 4 thick hymn books and a kneeler (possibly the best use I have made of them in a while) and got a bird's eye view. It was quite emotional to see my last remaining aunt and uncle getting 'married' again, and I was very pleased that I had travelled so far to be there for the auspicious occasion. No pics yet as I have to download at home.
A large number of ex-Saffers were there, being mainly old friends from Durban days and it was a little sad to meet so many people who I would have liked to maintain friendship with,  but who have all returned to the UK in their latter years.  Such is life.
Today is the final clean up and then back to a quieter life, with a good walk planned for burning off some of the food! My last few days here.

No comments:

Post a Comment