Friday 5 April 2019

Falling over my feet in York

Today we went off to visit the lovely city of York, with its beautiful Gothic cathedral - the largest in Europe and currently undergoing restoration. The drive through the little villages in the way were a delight, the sheep in the meadows, the cows in the corn (maybe). Everything is so green except for the trees that still need to dress themselves - I think I prefer them in their winter wear, bare branched in silhouette against the grey skies, perfectly shaped with the spaces veined with twigs. Somehow more appealing than a mass of leaves. And fat ewes dotted around the slopes.
Cousin Peter is a fantastic tour guide, having extensive knowledge of Yorkshire and many very entertaining personal anecdotes to share. My visit has been greatly enhanced by this and we have had many a good laugh - a throwback to the times we spent together when much younger.
The ancient architecture and history of York is fascinating and it is a vibrant and not too modernised city, with many narrow streets to be explored and eateries to tempt. I think I could easily spend a week there.
Peter and his cousin, Jen, who was on a mobility scooter, wandered through the streets while I climbed up onto the old wall of the city to enjoy an elevated view. Despite the sunshine, an icy wind blew through the battlements and I hurried along while looking left and right, but not at my feet. Who knew that every so often there would be a step up or a step down? I had a very close call at the first encounter and, aware of my tendency to trip, took more notice of where I was going.
After a tasty pub lunch in the most haunted pub in York (didn't see a single spook), we strolled down through the park to the River Ouse, where a riverboat had just left the embankment. 'Quick! Take a picture' says Jen. I raise my cellphone, turn around and step straight off a low step. As I flew through the air in slow motion, I opened my hand and watched my phone land on the stone paving before me. My instinct was to protect my face from the imminent connection with the ground and I twisted my body gracefully to roll onto my backpack on landing.  At least that's what I would like to think! Peter was looking the other way. Three people standing 3m away stared. And on the restaurant terrace above, about 20 people gawped. Of course I was  paralytic with laughter, but noticed that not one single person made any attempt to assist. Peter pulled me up and dusted me off, then said he didn't get a pic, so I lay down again in a reenactment for him to record for posterity.  Still no response from the onlookers. Back home, I can confidently say that I would have had no lack of rescuers. We laughed for a long time after that, and I have come to the conclusion that I should rather walk without glasses as the multifocals are just not giving me an accurate reading!
A really great day out!
Bottom half is Roman 300AD




No comments:

Post a Comment