Thursday 18 April 2019

From Spring to Autumn

Cape Town is spoiling us today with just the most beautiful autumn day! After three weeks of spring in Europe, wearing two jackets every time I went outside and shedding them indoors, it's difficult to know what to wear here. I hear that it is around 18 degrees in Yorkshire today, which is double what I experienced, so I definitely missed out there and it would have been a treat to spend more time walking on the moors, but the wind chill was just too much for me and I felt permanently botoxed  after the briefest stroll!
While the Dales were a riot of colour with daffodils brightening nearly every patch of green, our autumn fynbos is more sedate, ushering our winter season in with gentle shades of pink and the vines are burnished bronze and gold before dropping their leaves to prepare themselves for next year's harvest.
Easter is traditionally the time when the season really turns and we start to get the first real rains of winter, but apart from a few showers this weekend, nothing is forecast for a while and I hope this is not an indicator of a dry winter. Although the water table rose slightly a few weeks ago, there has been little improvement and the JoJo tank didn't fill while I was away, being currently around 2/3 of capacity. The dratted mole threw out a few heaps of sand in my newly renovated garden, but our Malawian gardener worked his magic and all is pristine once again.
Tomorrow we are able to crayfish for the last few days (poaching of course continues unabated and unpoliced), and hopefully I will be able to share a photo of the feast. Failing which it will have to be roast lamb as is traditional - a bit sad to have seen all the lambs gambolling in the green fields of Yorkshire, unaware of their fate, but such is life.


No comments:

Post a Comment