Thursday 4 April 2019

Out and about

Temperatures are not rising above 5 degrees at the moment,  and I'm getting used to putting on someone's sheepskin boots and huge padded jacket just to step out into the garden for a while.  Indoors is a comfortable 18 degrees, regulated by a thermostatically controlled hot water heating system and I am easily fooled into thinking it's a lovely Spring day. Yesterday we took a very brisk walk through farmland and the wind chill made my lungs burn - no Everest for me. The pace is faster than that set by my hiking group and I set a new record of 12.3 minutes per kilometre, as opposed to the usual 22!
A few miles away is the largest British army garrison in the world and 2400 acres are set aside for training in artillery, tanks, etc. More than 13 000 people make up the military town, which was pinpointed as the ideal site for a garrison by a young Baden-Powell when he was held in nearby Richmond Castle keep as a conscientious objector in WW1. A memorial was recently erected to him.
A bit further in the other direction is an airforce base and I've been enjoying the sight of  black jets low-flying over the hills and soaring to great heights until just a speck in the pale blue yonder. I always look up at the sound of a plane, anywhere in the world.
Today I did the rounds of the charity shops in Richmond, having heard of the bargains to be found, and indeed there are. If I needed anything,  these would certainly be the places to start looking.
Richmond is a charming town and everyone I spoke to was warmly welcoming. They all remarked on my accent, which they absolutely loved. How strange. But a really nice place to explore with its cobblestoned lanes and quaint architecture, castle ruins and gently flowing River Swale winding through the valley.  When in torrent, this deceptive waterway has wrought much destruction, but today all was peaceful.
The air temperature left much to be desired, being around 2 degrees, and  in fact only about 15 minutes away, snow fell, as in the photo! Not mine, we didn't drive that far.No wonder I had two jackets on!
The day was topped off with the best pork pie I have ever eaten!


No comments:

Post a Comment