Sunday 14 April 2019

A little bit of culture

Yesterday afternoon I headed out into the streets of The Hague in search of the Mauritshuis museum. Without familiar landmarks and not knowing which direction I was facing, Google maps was confusing, but after crossing the first canal and being undecided about the way to go, I looked up and saw a signpost for the museum. It was the opposite way to the one I would have taken, but sense prevailed and I followed the signs and in no time was outside the most impressive building housing the museum.
A special exhibition celebrating Rembrandt, Vermeer and other masters is currently on, and it was the prospect of viewing the Girl with a Pearl Earring that drew me there. This has to be my favourite painting (I did a copy a few years ago and it sold immediately), and it was such a privilege to see it close up, although behind a barrier not quite rivalling that of the Mona Lisa. I noted the important brushstrokes and hope to improve on my next version. They say you should copy 100 of the masters' works to become a proficient artist.
Blue skies overhead were replaced by dark grey clouds while I was indoors and, looking out over the canal, I could see that a sudden shower had wet the streets. I wandered around the old building in the area for a while (there were many guided tours going on around me), and had to stop to put on my rain jacket.  Hiking has equipped me with all the right weather outfits! But it wasn't raining. I looked at the gently falling flakes that didn't quite reach the ground, floating feather-like before my eyes. Snow? I later found out it was a very brief snowfall, but it certainly added to my list of new experiences for the day!
Out on another adventure now!



No comments:

Post a Comment