Saturday 30 March 2019

Yorkshire life

It's not easy to write a daily blog of goings-on in unfamiliar surroundings.  While viewpoints and opinions on everything from the weather to political circumstances may be given when at home, it is not within my sphere of knowledge here in England, and so anything I say is merely an observation of my experiences and intended to be lighthearted and not taken too seriously!
Spring is slowly arriving in Notth Yorkshire. Fat green buds on the twig tips are sure to burst from their restriction today as we awake to the third day of sunshine. We are fooled by being inside a house with double glazing and central heating - outside the air is a bone chilling 4 degrees as evidenced by a couple walking their dogs - thick woolly hats, gloves and padded jackets. We are expecting daytime temperatures to drop below 10 for a while and won't even mention night time temperatures.
My aunt walks every day and has a pace almost double what I am accustomed to, so either she is going to slow down or I am going to speed up. Whatever way it goes, I feel confident there will be no holiday weight gain! Walking on the road, albeit through quaint villages and soft, green hills of rural Enhland, is far more strenuous than the Cecilia Ravine or Table Mountain contour path, I am finding, and it will be interesting to see how I cope with an intended hike in the Lake District. I do hope I don't disgrace myself.
In  country where everyone is so strictly regulated by the laws of civilisation, I am amazed that the speed limit on these narrow and winding country roads is 60mph -  the equivalent of 96km per hour. It makes our speed limits positively pedantic in comparison, and I can only think that it is only because you never see animals or children anywhere that cars can hurtle through a residential area with front doors on the road without apparent incidents.
Up here on the hill at Aysgarth lodge, the road passes the kitchen window and I am waiting for a car to take off the corner of the building. But of course everyone has licences and driving skills here, not to mention roadworthy vehicles,  so I doubt it will happen!
The picture shows the girls who are providing my morning eggs. They are doing a stirling job and I will miss them!

No comments:

Post a Comment