Sunday 24 March 2019

Could I please turn everything off for a while?

I am about to set off on another adventure - familiar faces and not so familiar places. First a visit to visit dear relatives in North Yorkshire and then a whistle stop in The Hague for more family catch ups. It's been months in the making, and now that the time is almost upon us, I am wondering why the anxiety. The answer is simple. I have always been too responsible and concerned for the comfort and ease of existence of my family! What a mistake.
Every time I have been away through the years, I have ensured that at least a week's worth of cooked meals are safely in the freezer, along with a well-stocked larder and fridge. The electricity and bills are all up to date so nobody has to suffer the inconvenience of a blackout (can't guarantee that this time) and life can continue as the jolly little party it has always been, while I ensure the smooth running. This time, I am thrilled to announce that I have not prepared one frozen meal and everything in the freezer will have to be cooked by the chef of the day. I have stocked the larder with enough tinned food and non-perishables to see them through about a month, but they probably won't want to eat tinned mackerel or butter bean curry. That's their problem!
The cats and dogs have been catered for by way of giant bags of munchies, but here is another hiccup. We have just adopted a rescue doggie whose newish owner died unexpectedly, and so that is an unknown dimension that the household will just have to cope with. Yet again, I have arranged for a dog trainer who is an expert in her field to come and assess the dynamics to enable an easy integration for the other pets and have discussed the new dog's needs with the vet to ensure that everyone gets a good night's sleep. I think she will settle in well.
I still have to organise suet balls for the wild birds and seed for the pigeons.
A list will have to be drawn up to ensure that the correct amount of watering takes place for the potplants, and the garden must be kept alive while I'm gone.
Alternatively, I could just pack my suitcase and go. It's sounding so tempting, and would be even better if cellphones hadn't been invented! As always, I have that on hand to make sure I can keep my finger on the pulse from anywhere in the world as I also have to run a business. But I really don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment