Saturday 9 March 2019

George lilies respond to a shower

And on cue, the first sprinkling of March rain has brought the George lilies into bloom. It happens every year without fail, and last year was the most rewarding for my little tub of heirloom bulbs as 54 flowered simultaneously, bringing a splash of coral red to the corner of the deck. They have been very happy in their semi-shaded position over many years, ever since Mom passed on some of the excess bulbs she was given by her mother-in-law some 40 years before, but after last year's blooming, the growth of bulbs in the tub was so strong that it split in two and I had to take everything out and start again. Imagine my amazement when I found that the bulbs had multiplied downwards to the very bottom of the tub, completely white from having never seen the sun nor developed leaves. Mom told me that they liked to be crowded, but I never imagined it would be to this extent.
There must have been 200 bulbs - there was certainly no soil - and I had to replant them into 8 new tubs, as well as give away what didn't fit. It was a terrible shock to their system to be separated in this way and they have struggled through the heat of summer with daily watering from me; many have remained leafless and lifeless, and I have despaired of my precious stock of Granny's beautiful lilies. But we had a little rain recently which caused a sudden bloom to emerge from one strong bulb and I have been hoping for a reprieve. Thursday's rain has once more wrought the miracle, with even the leafless, lifeless bulbs pushing out a bud!
 The interesting thing about the George lily (and probably most lilies) is that you can almost watch the flower grow. Within two days of rain, the bud will appear, and during the day you can check it from time to time and it will have grown some more, and sometimes it's in full bloom before you even noticed the bud! I find them very exciting plants to observe and so rewarding when well established.
For now, they need to multiply and crowd themselves in again before they are truly happy, and I look forward to that time, in remembrance of those dear to me.




In better days!


No comments:

Post a Comment