Thursday 28 March 2019

Flying away for a while

The airport shuttle dropped me at CT International at 10pm Tuesday where Injoined a queue of around 500 others checking in for the 2 late night flights to Europe. Two airlines had combined the check-in, and despite already having a boarding pass, only the First class, Business class, or elderly and infirm could jump the queue. I asked if a limp would help, but no luck. I have to acknowledge the efficiency with which our local staff ensured that all counters were open and we were all through within an hour.
The KLM Boeing was the least spacious plane I have ever been on, or else my tolerance for proximity to others has plunged, and there were moments when I had to fight off a little panic and get a grip on myself. Suffice to say that the stewardess said she was very relieved I could give her a smile when we disembarked. A lot of the anxiety stemmed from anticipation of the transfer at Schiphol,  where Imhave never been, and had been told it was a tight window at 45 minutes. I needn't have stressed, as it is the most user-friendly airport I have ever been to!
The hop over to Newcastle in an appropriately named Cityhopper was a brief parabola bursting into bright sunshine above the dull cloud cover and landing in similar gloom at Newcastle. It was almost a trip down memory lane, like landing at Cape Town in the 70s - small runway, small building, small carpark.
The drive to the hamlet of Newton-le-Willows was as expected in a country where traffic rules are obeyed and no mini-bus taxis exist. The daffodils are everywhere in golden splendour and cherry trees are in full blossom, with patches of startling bluebells under bare-branched chestnuts.
The charming village of Bedale has a famous pie shop and butchery and that was the first stop before arriving for a heartwarming reunion with family. I will have to try the haggis, they tell me. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment