Friday 18 March 2016

Device dramas

Had to get a new computer today. The current PC still has Windows XP on it and is incompatible with just about everything, so things have been grinding to a halt and picking up all sorts of bugs. I am a complete dummy when it comes to technology and find the linking of all my devices too much for the liver. I am coming to terms with keeping certain things separate - my books and blog on the little notebook, as it is easy to carry around; the company accounting on the old PC which cannot be upgraded except at major expense, as well as photos, videos and music; social media on my tablet and, hey! phone calls on my cellphone. The new laptop will not be cluttered with all these things and will be used for lucrative work (that which pays) and financial matters. At least I think that is how it will all work!
And if all else fails, I still know how to write with a pencil and paper. I often imagine what will happen when some kind of disaster (natural or man-made) causes the lights to go out. Everything will be gone. No record of what you have in the bank - no debts either. No record of what mail you have sent and received. No means of retrieving all your precious photo memories. And again, it is unlikely that any of this will matter, because our only need will be for food, water and shelter, if the nature of the disaster was such that nothing worked any more. Funny how thought patterns go. Food for thought.
And on that cheerful note, have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment