Wednesday 23 March 2016

A leaking pipe

There is a leak in the lawn at the top of the garden. It wasn't there this morning when I took Cleo for a walk and so I noticed the spreading wet patch on the grass verge immediately when I returned. There was a little bubbling fountain about an inch high at that stage and as I have had to call the Water Dept many times over the years to fix the pipe in the road. The heavy traffic doesn't do much for the maintenance of a water pipe just a few inches under the tar.
The traffic of the cars crossing the grass to get to the neighbour has obviously been too much to bear for this little pipe and it's cracked under the strain. It's on the municipal side so won't cost them but we don't need any wastage with the water restrictions. If only it was going to feed the restios, which are unbelievably dying now.
Usually the Water Dept arrives within a few hours, but today I couldn't get through to them despite pushing all the right buttons when instructed. I loathe these recorded messages. Intended to make a lot of money for the phone companies, I'm sure. Perhaps they are all on holiday for this short week. So nothing has been fixed yet and it will doubtless become a swamp over Easter. Of course, rain is forecast for Easter, as is the norm! Curious to know if the neighbour is still getting water or is scratching her head in puzzlement. Perhaps I should go and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment