Sunday 27 March 2016

Typical Easter weather

We survived the storm unscathed and I am only surprised at the fact that I am surprised, because we don't feel the northwester in this part of Kommetjie and have slept through many a gale and even a couple of hurricanes! The valley running from Noordhoek to Fish Hoek is the area that suffers most from both prevailing winds, being assailed by the southeaster in summer and known as Tornado Alley in winter, when roofs are sometimes ripped off! It will be interesting to see how the residents of the new development going up on the southern slope of Dassenberg react once they actually live there.

The wind here has been merely invigorating and quite a pleasure to walk in; the southeaster just brings out the worst in us. Perhaps it is the huge dose of sea air that pumps in from the Atlantic that refreshes our lungs and bloodstream, while the southeaster carries dust and pollen from the many alien trees covering the Peninsula. After the fires that have stripped the mountains of all vegetation, the pollen may not be a problem for a while!
Today the sea has been tumultuous and the incessant crashing of the waves has provided a soothing background noise - at least in my opinion. I find it quite unsettling to be away from the sea. On a trip to the Drakensberg a few years ago, it took me a while to realise what was disturbing me, until it dawned on me that it was the absolute and total silence!
We are supposed to be having another storm tonight, but I intend to sleep like a log.

No comments:

Post a Comment