Tuesday 20 August 2013

Searching for sushi

I had to have new tyres put on my car today, so took the opportunity to include a trip to the Waterfront for a lunchtime treat of sushi at what I consider the best eatery there, Willoughby's. I also needed to get a couple of bracelets at the crystal store to match different outfits and requirements, and planned to go to the Food Market where they have all those delectable specialities from around the world. My daughter and I set off for Maitland, where it took an hour to change four tyres and do the alignment, despite not having to wait in a queue. I have no idea what took so long, but now I can feel that I am riding on treads and not on canvas! Item #1 sorted, and at a very good price!

We arrived at the Waterfront to find that a large portion of it has been dug up for further construction, which shows how long it is since I was last there. We parked in the cheap garage and crossed the road - that's the difference between the cheap and the expensive parking - crossing a road and went our separate ways, not having the same interests except for sushi. There was no problem locating the bracelets and a very satisfactory deal was struck. Then I set off for the food market, only to find that it is not open on Monday and Tuesday. Funny how that fact doesn't seem to feature on their Twitter account which constantly exhorts you to drop by! Item #2 not sorted.

Further bad news followed - Willoughby's was closed for renovation and the opening date was - 6pm tonight! So a week of looking forward to our favourite dish came to nought. Never mind, we would head for the only other restaurant we frequent - San Marco's. Curses - closed for renovations! Obviously it's no good to be a tourist at the Waterfront in August. We could just as well be in Europe, where it's also a bad month for tourists.

As luck would have it, I rounded a corner and bumped into my sister-in-law, who is at the Waterfront every day, she tells me, despite having a full-time job. She lives to shop. Anyway, being in the know, she told us to go for the 50% off Tuesday special on sushi at the Cape Town Fish Market, which we did, and so we managed to accomplish the main task of the day, sushi for lunch and at a bargain price!

No comments:

Post a Comment