Wednesday 7 August 2013

A south-easter and a speech

For the last two days we have had traditional winter weather in Cape Town - soft, soaking rain with no wind. It's been years since we've had that - it seems the norm has changed to individual clouds moving in from the south west and dumping bucket loads in three minutes rather than over three hours! The wind has swung round to south east, as is also traditional after rain, bringing blue skies and freezing temperatures up from the South Atlantic - next stop Antarctica!

The passing cold front brought with it some mountainous seas for the world's big wave surfers to enjoy a ride or two at the famous or infamous Dungeons reef off the Sentinel at Hout Bay. There's something rather special about living in a place where nature's power and beauty are so renowned. It enables us to appreciate it day after day without having to travel anywhere. The waves were so big that I could see the spray coming off them all the way across the bay from my house in Kommetjie - with the naked eye! And that is saying something.

The cold weather makes me want to snuggle under three duvets, but tonight I have to go and make a speech at Toastmasters. This will be my first in front of the whole club and it's a bit of an accident really. I volunteered to make a humorous speech without realising I was actually entering a competition, something I would rather steer clear of. But as it will count towards completing my first manual at Toastmasters and we are after all there to talk, I will hang in there. The speech will be about one of the more interesting baboon raids on my kitchen and I've told it many times over the years to friends and family, but every time I tell it, it comes out differently, so I have no idea how it will end up tonight. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment