Wednesday 21 August 2013

Putting a spring back in my step

A not very successful day in the kitchen! I discovered that raw almonds, which are one of the few nuts I should eat, have an inhibitor in the skin which prevents the release of the nutrients into the body. We are supposed to dry roast them for 3 minutes to neutralise it. After all these years! So I put a bag of almonds on a baking tray and spread them out nicely while the oven heats. In they go, I check the time on the clock - and sit down at my computer. I quickly get caught up in the news of the day (Facebook!) and before I know it, the nuts have been in the oven for 6 minutes. I whip them out - they are starting to singe in places! Now I don't know if I have completely killed the nuts and must throw away R100 worth - a whole month's supply - or whether I can even eat them. I tasted a few and they are rather borderline - so if anyone is more informed, please let me know whether they should be turfed or are still edible!

The drawback of healthy eating, for me anyway, is that, once your body is completely toxin-free and functioning as it should, there is no going back to bad habits. A month of social eating, while all good fun, spells disaster for me and it's back to chicken and rice again and strict portions too! Turns out that all the highly nutritious superfoods I have been consuming are for people who are not eating three full meals a day and should be taken with circumspection - not as an extra part of the meal. I did wonder why the buttons didn't meet! And of course, the excess of sugar in my system - which doesn't like it at all - has provided a fantastic breeding ground for the flu bugs that won't let go. No-one knows better than me how bad sugar (I use that term loosely) is for the body and I now have to pull myself together - prevention is always better than cure.

In a couple of weeks, to coincide with the change of seasons, I will have bounced back and have a spring in my step again - I may even find some daisies in my pocket

No comments:

Post a Comment