Friday 2 August 2013

Will it ever rain again?

We've all had to don our summer clothes in Cape Town for the last two days, but suddenly a bank of clouds has snuck in from the south and the temperature has dropped. Although no rain is forecast for a while, it's back to jerseys while still having to water the garden, as everything has become so dry it is literally wilting. I emptied the old fish pond with a watering can to water the potplants yesterday, dodging an unfortunate dead frog and a couple of snails floating on the surface. It's years since we had fish in it - a tree that sheds truckloads of leaves grew overhead and clogged it so badly that everything died and we just gave up. It's the bottom half of an old asbestos water tank and with new laws relating to the use (or not) of asbestos since we put it in, we haven't bothered to take it out of the ground - where would we take it to? So I think I will eventually just crack the bottom for drainage and fill it in one of these days and grow something that likes a bit of bogginess.

The recent renovation of Espresso.dotkom, our little coffee shop up the road where ladies lunch, has thrown our routine into disarray and our coffee dates have been few and far between, but now everything is up and running and we can renew our acquaintances. Most of us have taken the opportunity to do some much-needed freelance work and I was lucky enough to sell a number of paintings at the time, so it's time to replenish my stock with something new and exciting. I wonder what it will be?

I think this weekend will be taken up with more window refurbishment, so I doubt that it will be fun or relaxing, but I make up for that during the week when nobody's watching. It keeps everybody happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment