Saturday 3 August 2013

Fast food and a bit of an emergency

The heady aroma of paraffin wafts gently through my house, a sure sign that the neighbours have lit up the braai at the end of an indian summer's day. I did it the easy way - throw some lamb chops in the pan on the gas, a few potatoes in the microwave and eating lettuce straight from the packet while it all cooks. A balanced meal in twenty minutes. Not really, but I didn't feel like cooking this evening! The neighbours will be putting the meat on just about now, while I'm back at my jigsaw puzzle.

He Who Can Fix Anything has retired for the night and is watching the motorsport channel. He has sliced his finger rather badly with the biltong cutter - anyone who has seen one of these guillotine-like pieces of equipment will be able to imagine its efficiency. Copious amounts of blood oozed out until I came to the rescue with the 'staaldruppels' - ferric chloride - which stemmed the flow. I took out the magnifying glass to read the label and was amazed to see it is used for the treatment of anaemia - here I am taking blackstrap molasses (uuurrrghh!).  Any doctors out there please let me know whether anyone still uses this stuff. I thought it was just for stopping bleeding in minor wounds.

Once again, I needed a degree to fight my way into the plaster wrapping, but eventually got it sorted out after a small altercation with the plaster itself - I describe this in detail in an earlier blog (Plaster Disaster), so won't repeat the sordid details today!

I hear that it will rain again in Cape Town, probably by Tuesday, and that it is going to bucket down for the rest of the week, so enjoy tomorrow, folks, while the good weather lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment