Thursday 18 April 2013

Winter puddings


He Who Can Fix Anything has a sweet tooth of note. Some years ago, he went for a routine blood test and the doctor was horrified at the results, told him he was a borderline diabetic and prescribed tablets which he now takes every day to keep diabetes at bay. Some time later, he confessed that he had eaten a whole packet of fudge just before the blood test. You would think that he would have had a follow-up test done, after some serious no-fudge fasting, but no, that’s never going to happen. He’s a man.

I have suggested that if he followed my eating plan, which is basically a diabetic diet even though I’m not diabetic, he could dispense (!) with the prescription drugs, but no, that’s never going to happen. He’s a man.

His favourite food is hot puddings. If I would make them all through summer, he would eat them every night. But I refuse to go to all that trouble in the heat, and so, at the first sign of rain, his parting shot in the morning will be: So it’s apple crumble tonight?

I get the blender out of the cupboard and put all the pieces together, not having used it since last winter. I duly throw in the flour, oats, sugar and butter and give it a whizz. Nothing happens. Curses! The butter must be too high up, I poke it down with a spatula and give it another whizz. Still nothing. Poke it down again. But then I notice that something is not right. Ah ha! I haven’t put in the blade. Really out of practice with this bit of kitchen machinery.

Eventually get the whizzing under way and in no time have a congealed blob which is so way past a crumble as to be a rock bun. So I throw in more oats, more flour and off we go again. By the time I get the consistency right, I have enough for three apple crumbles, which is good news in the long run. I stow the balance of the crumble in a container in the fridge where it will keep for weeks and slice apples, sultanas, cinnamon and cloves into a baking dish followed by a good layer of crumble and pop it in the oven.

That will keep him going for two nights, as long as the rest of us don’t tuck in too!

No comments:

Post a Comment