Sunday 21 April 2013

Down at the dump

I fear that He Who Can Fix Anything is turning into a dump scavenger. He recently started bringing home some strange things which needed a lot of cleaning and repainting - a large metal trunk, some ancient metal punches with letters and numbers on them (two incomplete sets), and who knows what other hidden treasures have been sneaked into his garage. I did venture to ask where they might have come from and why they needed to have a place in an already overcrowded garage, but got the usual silent treatment.

Last week he came home with a 2-man rubber duck which needs a little repair to the transom and had some badly patched areas. This poses no problem to a man of his skills. Out came the tools and the patching kit and after sticking and drying and grinding and polishing, it is like new and you can hardly see the patches. It is so light that we can easily carry it between us and he informs me that we will be taking it down to the beach in the boot of the Mini and a foot pump, a little Johnson 8hp engine and a bottle of fuel and we will go crayfishing next season. I can't wait, as you can well imagine!

He eventually confessed that he got all these things from the dump, which was rather alarming as I have been making some progress in getting him to take things to the dump, rather than bringing them home. You cannot believe how much stuff can be stored in an 8 car garage that's only got six in it. Today he said he was just going to dump the garden refuse from yesterday's clean-up, so I quickly put on my shoes and hopped into the van to make sure he didn't get lost on the way or go scavenging again at the sorting room.

We came back with half an office chair, the seat part. It is almost like new! The castors roll perfectly and it only needs to be spray painted black to be restored to its former glory. It's just what I've always wanted - a revolving seat to perch on, without a back, and when I saw it, I knew I had to have it!

It was only R20. What a bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment