Monday 8 April 2013

Switching seasons

Today the maximum daytime temperature dipped to 17 degrees C, although it didn't really feel like it. But there is an undeniable chill in the air and I doubt whether we will regain the intense heat of summer before winter really sets in. For the moment we will enjoy the balmy autumn air here in the Cape Peninsula. The sea in False Bay is smooth as glass and just as green, but here on the Atlantic side we are being treated to heaving swells and crashing breakers as they fold over on themselves, forming perfect pipelines across the bay (hence the name Baby Pipes, I suppose).

An overnight drizzle melted away with the sunrise, although high clouds have kept the sun from our faces and the washing hangs limply on the line, with no chance of drying in the stillness. Without direct sun, a good blow is needed to sort that out and the only thing I really dislike about winter is lines of damp washing on the balcony. It's where I have my writing desk and painting studio area, and to duck between towels and t-shirts is somewhat disturbing to an orderly mind. Not that I'm claiming to have one of those, but I do try!

The cooler temperature means we can start eating more spicy food again - tonight I'm trying a new green Thai curry recipe - never made one of these before and I must say it sounds delicious. I'll let you know how it works out. Incredibly, I have all the ingredients in the pantry (actually cheated a bit and read the recipe last week) including the exotic fish sauce. This turns out to be extracted from anchovies which I have in a jar anyway. I throw this into lamb stews and the results have been extremely tasty. I've been watching the Food channel since Robert left (no more UEFA and Premier League) and it's inspired me to be more adventurous in the seasoning of our food - He Who Can Fix Anything says he is not particularly interested in the baked chicken and lightly steamed vegetables which I favour - but old habits die hard, especially when 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and some herbs are what I usually use.

I think a compromise will have to be reached - 3 days of highly flavoursome delectable dishes and 4 days of chicken and salads. Seems fair to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment