Sunday 7 April 2013

The long and the short of it...

Is it only me or do you also have trouble with the length of the arms of your clothing? For some reason, the clothing manufacturers think that your arms grow proportionally longer as your girth grows wider. The result is orang-utan arms attached to a somewhat tight size XL, when you aren't actually fat. You see, XL doesn't mean extra large; it means extra long. The body length is always out of proportion as well. People in general, and women especially, are usually less than 6 feet tall, but larger sized clothes tend to extend closer to the knee than the hip. So it would appear that clothing designers assume that 'fat' people are 7 feet tall.

I don't envy them their task. Apparently the model they use for the original design is a 6' 2" borderline anorexic, flat-chested and tight-bummed. You will realise immediately that there aren't many people in the real world that fit this description and that is where the problem starts.

Instead of taking a dumpy 5' 2", short-waisted size 38 as your basic model (hence allowing me to buy my clothing off the rail!), we get these adaptations of a design that don't look at all flattering when stretched in different directions. I have never yet found a pair of pants or jeans that don't need to be rolled up at least three times if I don't wear 6" heels. I can't tell you how many I have cut off too short and had no space for a hem. Capri pants reach halfway down my calf, and 3/4 pants hover at my ankle, neither fashionably short, nor fashionably long.

Low cut jeans reach my navel, and normal jeans come up to my armpits and have to be rolled down. So I end up with pants that are rolled up at both ends. It's mystifying what the rest of the world is doing. Perhaps, under those flowing tops, they're also rolled down, and tucked into boots to hide the rolling up? Whatever the case, the only way I can find jeans that are the correct length both ways is if I buy 2 sizes too small and make sure it's stretch fabric.

It certainly prevents overeating, I can tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment