Saturday 5 January 2013

The wrong queue

I wanted to buy our Lotto tickets at the supermarket, but it is at the checkout for 10 items or less and unless you are in that queue, they basically just ignore you. Only having one basket, I thought, well this only looks like 10 items so I'll take a chance and join the queue to check it out and then I'll be able to get the Lotto at the same time, killing two birds with one stone, so to speak (what a dreadful idiom). As I started to unpack, it became apparent that there were considerably more than 10 items - the basket was a veritable Mary Poppins carpetbag of exciting goodies. The cashier politely told me that the queue was for 10 items etc but by then I had almost unpacked everything so decided there was no going back. "I want to get the Lotto, but you take no notice of me so I've had to come around and join this queue," I said firmly, without looking her in the eye, and continued to unpack. "There can only be about 12 items here..."

Rather than make a scene, she carried on processing the basket-load which was actually only 18 items after all (12 if you count duplicates as one) and I duly paid for it. Then, without daring to look at the man behind me, slid the Lotto forms across the counter. Of course, one of them didn't want to go through, and she had to insert it 5 times before it accepted. By then I was feeling so embarrassed, I almost apologised, but decided to rather take my tickets and two carry bags and just slink out of there without looking up at anybody!

How ridiculous to feel like a criminal just for joining the wrong queue. This is what happens to law-abiding citizens! Let's hope I win the Lotto tonight after all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment