Tuesday 15 January 2013

Pottering in the garden

We are so fortunate to have unlimited underground water here. The garden is looking quite good for this time of year and considering my lack of green fingers. Even the lawn is green, in stark contrast to this time last year when it was burnt to a crisp and there was more sand than grass. So far January has been quite mild and rather pleasant, but as always, this can change in an instant.

The last remaining Death's Head Hawk Moth caterpillar is munching its way along a branch of the tree fuchsia, unusual during the day when it is exposed to predation, but I don't think any of the birds fancy such a large meal - probably the equivalent of a McDonald's triple supersize burger or such. I am hoping to see it pupate and eventually hatch (?) so that I can get an idea of the life cycle and actually see the moth.

A swarm of tiny black hairy caterpillars are trying to eat the Parrot/Dragon plant (can't find the botanical name!) and if I don't blast them off with the hose they will demolish it overnight. This is a very rewarding ground cover that is ideal for tall pots and hanging baskets although it requires quite a bit of water and constant inspection for caterpillars and snails. The dark orange/brown and bright yellow flowers resemble parrots' beaks and is presumably the source of the common name. I must go to the nursery and do some research.

The carnations are prolific this year. They have obviously decided they like the conditions in the pot and have flowered continuously for months now. Although I started off with 3 little white carnations, part of the mass of vegetation has begun to flower in a deep red, making for a lovely contrast with the snow white blooms. This must be dead-headed regularly to ensure continuous blooming. My granny was always dead-heading the carnations. I think it was her favourite part of the gardening, and I must say I do enjoy a good prune myself.

Tomorrow promises to be a hot day, so I'm heading outside now to do a little extra watering of the pot plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment