Monday 28 January 2013

Talking rubbish

I am seriously considering renting out space in my wheelie bin. Since starting recycling and with the recent diminution of the household, I can barely fill it a third of the way. You may wonder why this should be a problem. Well, the wind is blowing so hard that it is likely to blow the bin over in the night, and the dirt truck has been known to ride right over it in the past, so we need extra weight to hold it upright. The neighbours seem to need more than one bin, as the overflow is scattered all over the front lawn after the next problem, which is the people who make an unpleasant habit of digging through all the bins to extract any form of sustenance or whatever else it is they are looking for.

The very thought of someone scratching through our discarded food distresses me as, once it has been consigned to the bin, it is not intended for consumption even by animals, let alone people. If there is anything still edible, or old clothing that can be used, we put this in separate packets on top of the bin to discourage bin-picking. If I thought that putting dog poop in the bin would deter them, I would do so, but I don't want to take the chance that they are exposed to it. And of course, if they don't close the baboon proof catches, more disaster awaits if the truck is late and the troop moves in.

I have thought of filling the remaining space with garden refuse and thorny branches to make it just too difficult to get to the bottom. But I'm sure the bin will then be tipped over, defeating the purpose. The only way around this problem is to lock the bins and have a special key that the dirtmen use to open them with the least fuss, so that only bin owners have access. One can only dream of a society where such a system would actually work.

So in the meantime, if you have a need for extra bin space, give me a call and we can talk rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment