Sunday 6 January 2013

Ba-ba-ba-baboons!

It's been a bit of a sweltering day today. We've had to keep all the doors and windows closed as Big Bobby the lone baboon is very interested in getting into my kitchen. He tried yesterday afternoon, but was too big to fit through the gap of the sliding window. I keep a piece of wood in the groove so that it can't be opened wider than 4 inches, just to let a little fresh air in. The dogs alerted me to his attempts and I shooed him away, so he dropped off the balcony and made for the neighbour. He appeared on the roof a few minutes later and it was very amusing to watch how he scanned the neighbourhood for his next food opportunity. Here is a picture of him, his head just showing above the trees. I later found out he had just trashed the house on the right, even though the owner was home at the time - he couldn't chase him out and every cupboard was opened and the contents strewn about.


About an hour later, his mate turned up and took a couple of onions from the packet on the outside table, then jumped up onto the roof where she obviously found the onions not to her liking and threw them away. It made a tremendous racket, like a bowling ball rolling down an alley. I later found half a green tomato - fortunately I had just picked the two Roma tomatoes I have been nurturing for months in a pot on the balcony, so she dipped out there.

Today there was no sign of Big Bobby until I decided to lie down on a mattress under the trees with a book. As my eyes were closing there was a shout from upstairs, followed by a rustling in the trees. He was back!
Rushed around making sure the fanlights were closed and that was the end of my sleep. Later on, I was cleaning the fountain and replenishing the water, when he strolled past me - I nearly fell into the fountain. They are so quiet, they materialise out of nowhere. Monty was close behind and chased him all the way to the boundary wall, but didn't bark and made sure to keep a safe distance. At least he is learning how not to annoy baboons too much!

I'm sure Big Bobby has been here often. He knows where everything is and is used to the dogs. In those famous words of the Terminator: "I'll be back!"

No comments:

Post a Comment