Thursday 13 December 2018

What a pain!

Having sprained my ankle on last week's Cape Point hike, I now find myself on doctor's orders to rest it for 6 weeks, wear a brace for 3 weeks and then wear a brace on hikes, as the ankle is now a weak point (it has been my whole life - could never ice skate!). What a disaster! The only worse scenario would have been a broken ankle. Imagine having to be airlifted off a mountain by a helicopter!? It would make for another exciting life experience, though. Hmmm. I've always said the reason for my bright pink sun hat is so the helicopter can see me when it comes to find me - talk about tempting fate.
A very important reason for all the hiking is that I find it therapeutic and a marvellous stress releaser, and if I could find the time to hike three times a week, I would. So to be almost confined to barracks is anathema to me. Fortunately this is the time of year when everyone takes a break and so I won't miss too many, but fitness is also a factor, and so I have taken to the exercise bicycle that I found lurking in my daughter's room, cleverly disguised as a clothes horse, and which I had entirely forgotten about.
We lugged this incredibly heavy piece of gym equipment into the lounge and parked it in front of the TV (everyone said it would give me something to do while exercising). Well, you would be hard pressed to find anything remotely entertaining on DStv, even with the Premium package, and it's hard to do Magic Puzzles on a tablet while doing my version of spinning. The saddle doesn't bear discussion - suffice to say that the only sitting position suitable for a lady is far, far away from it. I have always said that the best shape for a bicycle saddle is a tractor seat - what do you men have to say?
I don't know if I'm going to behave and lay off the hiking for so long, especially as the brace makes for easy walking. Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment