Tuesday 4 December 2018

Smitswinkel to Buffels Bay

Today's hike was one that I have long romanticised in my imagination - walking from the clifftop above Smitswinkel Bay to Buffels Bay in Cape Point Reserve. Somehow I thought the trail would meander across the plateau behind the rocky buttresses that fall away in sheer cliffs down to the shores of False Bay, but I soon discovered that we would be following a path that climbed up and down each one of them. The hiking turned into scrambling, which turned into what I would think is my version of rock-climbing, and although it wasn't unbearable, my thoughts did dwell on the distance between us and Buffels Bay, now that it wasn't exactly as the crow flies!
The views from the trail cannot be equalled, and certainly cannot be seen from any other vantage point. It is worth the effort to revel in the beauty that the Peninsula offers for free to those who take the time to appreciate it. We could see across to the far side of Hermanus, with Danger Point to the right in a haze of grey. The veld was dotted with colourful fynbos - the elegant mimetes, fiery Erica cerinthoides and a host of others as yet to be identified from the reference books - a feast for the eyes.
As we summited each peak, we were taken closer to Cape Point and were able to look down the cliff faces to the sea far below, identifying the various places where we take more moderate hikes, and quietly patted ourselves on the back for today's achievement. The weather was cool and overcast, perfect for hiking, and all was looking good for what should have been a 4-hour, 9km journey. The trail is rocky and loose, and of course I slipped on a patch of small pebbles on a descent just after our halfway break. I felt snapping of tendons as my ankle buckled despite hefty walking boots and I fell flat into the fynbos (fortunately without damaging my camera!). The pain was severe, but I gritted my teeth and breathed through it, while able hands assisted - water was poured into my boot and instantly relieved the pain - it was quite incredible. It came back again, and another dose of water was administered. A gentle rotation of the ankle confirmed no broken bones and after a while I resumed the hike, determined not to hold anyone up or succumb to injury. Two sticks proved to be the saving of me as I used them to lever myself up and down two further inclines and another 4km or so to the cars. A lesson that you cannot be too careful on the mountains - it can happen to us all.
What nobody cared to tell me (and they all walked behind me!) was that when I fell I ripped my pants and presented an almost bare-cheeked face for their amusement. Lucky I can laugh at myself, and did we laugh! Exercised our stomach muscles too!









No comments:

Post a Comment