Tuesday 24 July 2018

No hike today

I was very sad to miss my hike today - 6 or 8 kilometres around the base of Lion's Head is always good for the heart, soul and figure - but there are times (believe it or not) when work actually has to come first. I am fortunate to work from home and it is not all that time-consuming, but somehow I seem to resent the hours when I am unable to go out and sit under a tree or on a rock on the mountainside and empty my mind of worldly things. Meditation is just that - emptying the mind and allowing your inner voice to be heard. You don't have to sit cross-legged with eyes closed, you just have to turn off the noise of your thoughts.
Painting is a form of meditation. I did my best work when I didn't think about what I was doing and just let the brush stroke the canvas. The music of Freddie Mercury (Queen) was my muse and encouraged vigorous, passionate painting. I think that is what is missing now, and I will have to dig out the old-fashioned headphones to get back into the rhythm.
Lying on the ground looking up at the sky (particularly if there are clouds) is another very effective way to empty the mind of thoughts, but best done on a late summer's afternoon when the ground is warm and the evenings long. You will be amazed at what passes through your field of view.
Hiking also leans towards meditation as you concentrate on every footstep and the effort of the climb or descent doesn't allow for any more thought than where you will next put your boot. And sitting on the highest point looking out across the valleys and oceans is definitely the ultimate in soul food.
I always get back from a hike in a lighter frame of mind - the most effective anti-depressant without a doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment