Saturday 21 July 2018

Hiking and relaxing

The main purpose of the sojourn in the Cederberg was to hike some moderate trails of about 2 to 6 hours, although no obligation was felt to participate in all of them. Some of us were seasoned, ultra fit, bobbejaan-klim-die-berg hikers, but I was not, and I brought up the rear quite happily. Of course, a reason for my slowness is that I like to stop and take in the beauty of my surroundings - if I looked around as I walked, I would be flat on my face in no time - and as a compulsive photographer, I am always on the lookout for something new and unusual to snap. The altitude (900m) might have had an effect as well, as I struggle with sufficient oxygen intake at sea level even. But apart from some heavy breathing, the walking was easy and the greatest pleasure in moderate temperatures and windless conditions. The wind did come up in the afternoons and particularly at night, when it sounded like a herd of buffalo stampeding down the mountain, coming closer and closer until it buffeted the house, nearly ripping the roof off on occasion. Not for nothing were large rocks strategically placed on it! But most of the time we couldn't have had better weather.





It was a bit of a climb up to the cascades behind the house, and the bare earth (except for babianas!), blackened skeletons of mature proteas and shattered rocks exposing their pristine white insides were a reminder of how close the fires come to the farm settlements and how terrifying it must be to try to protect your property and livelihood from these events. We stepping-stoned across the river and admired the deep rock pools that must have been enticing in summer. A small troop of baboons moved away from us, still naturally cautious of Man, and one can only wonder what their source of food is, particularly in these barren winter months.
Hikes were followed by showers and baths with no shortage of water and hot to boot! Luxury for those of us used to Cape Town's 50-litre limit. Card games, gluhwein, music (live), supper, red wine, fire, conversation, bed. Doesn't get much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment