Wednesday 14 September 2016

Taking to a tent

As I look back over the last few years, since I started my mostly daily blogging, I can see a pattern developing. Not only is the weather the same almost to the day, with seasonal fluctuations repeating themselves, but the very events and experiences repeat themselves. This leads me to conclude that life is just one great big repetitive cycle and we shouldn’t expect anything to change unless we make some major changes ourselves.
There are a number of ways to change our lives. The weather will change if we move location. The places we go to will change if we find other interests. Our outlook will change if we rethink our reactions to experiences. Perhaps this is why some people travel – it’s the easiest way to break the cycle of repetition. There’s no doubt that travel broadens the mind – you view things differently once you see how other cultures live.
This can’t be experienced in fancy hotels and resorts – these are isolated from the realities of daily living – and simpler accommodation in places off the beaten track can often be the most rewarding for authentic experiences. Luxury living soon palls (for me, anyway) and it isn’t long before I’m wanting to be in the kitchen cooking my own food rather than eating out. And there’s something rather unsavoury about having someone clean up after me in the bathroom (certainly for them) and using a vastly oversized, too thick bath towel when a threadbare hand towel is far more efficient and waterwise makes me feel I have left a tap running overnight when we are all urged to conserve our resources.
I’ll be taking things to the other end of the scale next month when I go to a Star Party at Bonnievale – only campsites are available and it’s a long time since I slept in a sleeping bag in a tent! It’s probably the wrong end of my life to start camping again, but it will certainly be breaking the repetitive cycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment